Skip to main content

Chef Vaibhav Mahajan Talks About His Delicious Journey

"A whole lot of magic is cooked up in kitchen."
Chef Vaibhav Mahajan, India's one best-known culinary expert who began his journey 10 years ago with well-regarded ITC Hotels to polish his culinary skills in the famed kitchens under the watchful guidance of its culinary masters. The 32-year-old chef is a part of Zee Khana Khazana, India’s premium 24-hour Food Channel has several syndicated shows on international cuisines along with food secrets of India. Mahajan is also hosting 'Roti and Rice'  featuring simple yet lip smacking recipes by using healthy ingredients as well as exotic recipes from across the world.
 
Vaibhav has multiple feathers in his hat, he is a Chef... Food Stylist... Culinary Consultant... Host... and (Food & Culinary) Educationist. Did we mentioned that Mr. Mahajan’s area of expertise isn’t restricted to the above list? He is don't hesitate in trying out new things like:-
  • Creating and developing syllabus and content for the Food Media program
  • Training guidelines for Corporates on Professional Etiquettes during formal meals
  • Quick and healthy recipes training and guidance for kids and adults
  • Mentoring and tutoring young chefs and students 
We spoke with Chef Vaibhav Mahajan about his career and life. Here's an interview:
 
  • Insight Glimpse: How has been journey so far working for leading 5 star hotel chain – ITC Hotels? 
  • Vaibhav Mahajan: I have an academically decorated hotel management college background. On my first day at the ITC Grand Maratha Sheraton and Towers, Mumbai, I carried a heavy weight of targets set by myself. I had the good fortune of starting under and along with some of the country’s finest chefs who are on par with international culinary exponents. I started as a kitchen trainee and was shortlisted for ITC’s prestigious WelcomGroup Management Trainee program during which I was groomed for a managerial position via exposure at ITC’s Signature properties across India.
I was posted back to now ITC Maratha – A Luxury Collection hotel, Mumbai. I have been a key member of the kitchen brigade, at the helm of Signature brands – West View –the grillroom. Peshwa Pavilion – the coffee shop and in a promoted capacity, Luxury Banqueting.
 
As a Chef opening the Signature West View – the grillroom I was also a representative to the media at various occasions. Luxury banqueting is much more than serving quality food and beverage it is more of delivering an exceptional experience to Guests having an endearing occasion at our esteemed property.
 
A large operation is successfully executed only through optimized synergies of resources – men and material.
 
My period at ITC not only helped me sharpen and develop my culinary skills but also shaped my personality towards sensitivities of a responsible hotelier and a better human being.
 
 
  • Insight Glimpse  What’s there in the name Castor Sugar?
  • Vaibhav Mahajan: Castor Sugar was my first ever email id influenced by the pack lying next to the table and after yahoo had rejected all possible combinations. It was also my chat handle when I first met Arya (my wife) online. Castor Sugar actually holds an emotional significance for me thus the name for my first venture.
 
 
  • Insight Glimpse Who has influenced you the most in your life?
  • Vaibhav Mahajan: My family gave me morals and the importance of education. They encouraged me to ask questions and think unconventional. They taught me to earn my respect and to be compassionate. They have always been supportive right from choosing hotel management as a career option to beginning of a new career outside of a well-established ITC stretch.
 
 
  • Insight Glimpse How did you get started as a Chef? Tell something about your journey of becoming the founder of Castor Sugar?
  • Vaibhav Mahajan: I was preparing for my MBA but wasn’t sure of clearing my grads so I joined hotel management to explore my affinity towards food. Through the course I did discover the confidence to make a career of my affinity. As I have mentioned earlier during my spell at ITC I have been mentored by the finest.
Keen to extend my reach as a chef beyond the kitchen I weighed my options of becoming a food stylist and a culinary concepts developer. Both options stemmed from my basic skill set and presented and opportunity to express myself in a new fashion. After calculated deliberations began my journey with Castor Sugar.
 
 
  • Insight Glimpse What inspires you today?
  • Vaibhav Mahajan: The changing culinary trends, advancement in technology and the development of digital age in India is most inspiring. It is of the utmost importance for me as a professional donning multiple hats to keep myself abreast of these and stay ahead of the curve.
 
 
  • Insight Glimpse How you are able to give justice to your diverse career portfolio - Chef | Food Stylist | Culinary Consultant | Anchor Host and Now (Food & Culinary) Educationist?
  • Vaibhav Mahajan: My basic skill set of a chef is the elementary guideline to my now diverse career folio. A chef’s ability to adapt is what set him apart from cooks. The exposure received during my stint at ITC has helped me define quality benchmarks that helps me determine the goals in have to achieve. 
 
As an educationist I have the strong background of grooming management understudies and young chefs who help me define expectancy on two levels – as future prospects that good organizations look for and the absolute necessities of knowledge required to be a great prospect. 
 
Anchor host was a new field altogether and I underwent a grooming session to face the camera and understand the subtleties. I continue the exercises even now.  To strike a balance between all these portfolios and do justice to each assignment is a challenge that has to overcome on a daily basis.
 
  • Insight Glimpse How Vaibhav Mahajan - a professional, turned into a professional entrepreneur?
  • Vaibhav Mahajan: For a seed to grow in to a tree it has to break the earth’s surface and fight against the forces of nature. While I developed myself at ITC I did realize that while there was a lot more to be achieved as a chef, I could grow more outside the role of just a chef.               
Thus began the conceptualizing of what comes next. Culinary consultant was the most obvious choice, to develop as a food stylist I had to invest time in studying and practicing the styling techniques available to be studied. The relentless practice also helped me create my own style and patterns.
 
As a food stylist I was introduced to School of photography, Pune and Udaan, Mumbai by Bharat Bhirangi, head of academics, a professional photographer and a dear friend. 
Anchor chef happened during one of the back end visits for Baccha Party, popular program on Zee Khana Khazana. Loved the idea of being on national tv and fortune favoured.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Healthy Lifestyle : Greening The Cleaning Eco-friendliness

Time to clean your home, but before you start you have to go through the preparation ritual, opening all windows so that chemical fumes would air out. Cleaning with industrial cleaning products could mean that you are actually bringing in more poison than you are trying to get rid of. Switching to green cleaning will not only save you some money, but it will also make your home feel fresh. If you worry about green cleaning not being efficient enough just because it is missing antibacterial properties, guess again. Most of your household items can be doubled as cleaning agents that you can safely use around the house. Baking soda Everyone has baking soda lying around, it is a very common ingredient that you can get for little money. When mixed with simple water, it cleans miraculously, even the toughest stains have a hard time. You can use baking soda on almost all surfaces that you can find around your house, without damaging anything. For the hard to reach places, you can

Essential Stuff You Should Carry While Trekking

Trekking spells fun and adventure, but it also calls for careful packing so as to have a safe trek. It is very important to be safe as well as comfortable outdoors. With this view, keeping the list limited to the bare minimums becomes a little difficult; but a compact list helps you travel light. Thoughtful and intelligent packing helps you have lots of fun at the trek without a single thing to worry about. Many of these things can easily be obtained from various online stores where they are available at very attractive prices. Here are a few essential things to carry: A Backpack:   Get a strong and sturdy backpack that can accommodate almost all the things you need. Choose the size according to the number of days you plan to be outside and then stuff it up with all your requirements ranging from food, water, extra clothes and more. Backpacks in many different sizes, brands, and designs are available on online stores like Flipkart.com, Jabong.com and   Amazon.in . Look for on